I remembered that I have a sewing machine, and a toddler that could use more pants, so out of the garbage they came. I used the same concept from this post, and in less than an hour, the wee one had a new pair of pants.
I bribed him with a balloon and candy to try to get him to stand still for a picture.
Clearly, it didn't work.
For these pants I used the thigh areas of the ripped adult pants (because there was little wear to the fabric there), and instead of a cuff, I hemmed the bottom. I also added two pockets to the back, and one on the side of each leg. Save yourself some grief, and remember to sew the pockets on before you assemble the pants!
They are a bit boring, so I used brighter blue thread around the pockets to add some interest.
Apparently they're comfy play pants, and have plenty of pockets for treasures.
I used up-cycled fabric, and left-over thread and elastic from previous projects.